Wednesday, June 22, 2011
We're Back and With Some Fair Food Shockers!
Moving on to new material, have you all heard about the latest fair food find? If you haven't it's fried Kool-aid. Yes, you heard that right. Is there nothing that Americans won't try and fry? If you're putting down the fried Twinkie and already grabbing your coat to jump on this latest concoction than feel free to disregard the rest of this post.
Summer is here, hopefully the weather is nicer where you are, and that means there are plenty of outside actives and events going on. Fairs are one of them, and while I'm always up for a good concert, checking out some blue ribbon winners and if the rides look relatively safe to ride I'll catch a turn on the Tilt-a-whirl. But what can be scarier than the seedy character operating those rides is what's lurking behind those concession stands.
Now, of course there are times when even the healthiest of folks deserve to indulge in some not so 'healthy' treats. I mean we ARE human and everything in moderation. Also, if you are active you have a little more freedom to cut yourself some slack when it comes to food. But knowledge is power after all and while Im sure you wouldn't' guess that funnel cake is a low-cal option, you may be surprised that even the seemingly 'okay' foods are not so diet friendly. Here are a few shockers that even Bozo might not smile about:
* Funnel Cake (8.3 oz)- 760 cals/44 g fat
* Fried Twinkie (2 oz)- 420 cals/34 g fat
* Fried Dough (6 oz)- 720 cals/39 g fat
* Onion Rings (3 rings)- 309 cals/13 g fat
* Soft Pretzel (1 pretzel)- 340 cals/2 g fat
* Caramel Apple (7 oz apple)- 298 cals/9 g fat
* Chocolate Frozen Banana (4.9 oz)- 240 cals/5 g fat
* Regular Corn Dog (4 oz)9 250 cals/14 g fat
* Jumbo Corn Dog (6 oz)- 375 cals/21 g fat
* Cotton candy (1.5 oz)- 171 cals/0 g fat
* Small Frozen Yogurt w/ Sugar Cone (10 oz)- 340 cals/1.5 g fat
* Smoked Turkey Legs (19 oz)- 1,136 cals/54 g fat
* Snow Cone (3 oz)- 270 cals/0 g fat
* Fried Onion Flower (1 onion)- 1,320 cals/72 g fat
* Fried Oreo (1)- 98 cals/5.8 g fat
* Foot Long Hot Dog- 470 cals/52 g fat
* Kettle Corn (7 cups)- 490 cals/12 g fat
Okay, just doing some comparisons I think more than a few would be surprised to find that if you went with a small corn dog instead of a soft pretzel you'd come in with 90 calories less. Also note that a caramel apple has about the same number of calories as the fried onion rings. Think a little sugar and ice in the form of a snow cone is a safe bet? Yes there may not be any fat in there but it's got 270 calories of pure sugar. I don't think I'm even going to have to address the fried onion flower or the smoked turkey legs. If you eat those then you're on your own.
So if you're hitting up the fair, you might want to either pack yourself a little snack or do a little reading up on the stats of your favorite fair foods. That said, if you do plan to chance it on that Tilt-a-whirl make sure to save any noshing for after!